Still wondering whether or not reclaimed wood is right for you? If so, I invite you to take a look at the top 10 reasons why reclaimed flooring is the product of choice for distinguished building design professionals and homeowners alike:
- There are a wide range of contractor prices from $4 a square foot and up.
- There isn’t a high markup as seen with commonly available wood floors that are put through distribution.
- Reclaimed wood adds more value to your home and office.
- You own a piece of history as this is the wood that grew right here in America and was harvested 1800s and early 1900s.
- How important is quality to you? Heartpine has a rich patina and tighter grain that adds to the beauty and quality of your home or office
- Have you ever walked into high-end new homes and felt like they all looked the same? Unlike these homes, your reclaimed wood floor will be unique in appearance and character.
- Heartpine is coined ‘the wood that built America.’ It is durable and stands the test of time. Mt Vernon’s floor is over 250 years old and, even though people walk on it every day, it retains the same alluring beauty as the day it was first installed.
- Heartpine is harder and more durable than most wood. In fact, is 29% more stable than red oak according to the National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA).
- You will leave a legacy. Many reclaimed wood floors have already lasted a hundred years or more, and yours is sure to outlast you and live on for generations.
- It’s a natural choice for earth friendly space.
Goodwin Company is sponsoring a unique contest on behalf of one of our valued clients, Peggy Gilder of Fire Island, New York (formerly of Los Angeles, CA). She is looking for a unique Parquet Ancien design for her home. She describes the beauty, feel and alluring qualities of the wood:
Pine is synonymous with the texture of relaxation. It invites the unraveling of responsibility. It takes care of itself and it ages beautifully.”
So, would you like to try your hand at Parquet Ancien design? We will select the top three custom designs and provide the winners with a panel of their creation. Our client will then select the final winner. You do not have to be a professional designer to enter.
Need more information about Parquet Ancien? Google these terms to see some neat examples: Parquet Ancien, Ancien Parquet, Parquet Ancienne, Ancienne Parquet. We’ve also included some photos of our own work below.
Scan and e-mail your designs, along with your name, e-mail address and telephone number to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We want to extend a special thank you to Greg Cater for posting a wonderful article about Goodwin’s work on the Charnley-Norwood house to his blog: http://reclaimedwoodblog.com/
We appreciate your kind words and support, Greg! The photos you see are courtesy of photographer Hubert Worley: http://hfw2.com/portfolio/
We are proud to be named a 2014 DREAM BIG Blue Ribbon Small Business of the Year by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce!
WASHINGTON, D.C.—The U.S. Chamber of Commerce today named Goodwin Company of Micanopy, Florida, a Blue Ribbon Small Business Award winner. The annual program recognizes companies for their dedication to the principles of free enterprise and contributions to restoring jobs and supporting economic growth. Goodwin Company was selected from a record number of applicants across the nation for demonstrating exceptional business practices in areas including strategic planning, employee development, community involvement, and customer service.
“As the business community has worked hard to do its part in moving the country forward economically, small businesses have continued to be the driving force responsible for much of our progress,” U.S. Chamber President and CEO Thomas J. Donohue said. “Our Blue Ribbon Award winners are the best of the best—growing and succeeding despite significant challenges.”
The Chamber will announce seven regional finalists on March 19 and honor all of this year’s Blue Ribbon Small Business Award winners at the 10th annual America’s Small Business Summit, taking place June 11 – 13 in Washington, D.C. During the summit, one regional finalist will receive the DREAM BIG Small Business of the Year Award, sponsored by Sam’s Club®, and a $10,000 cash prize courtesy of the U.S. Chamber. All Blue Ribbon winners are also eligible for the Community Excellence Award, which will be decided through online public voting February 19 – 28.
“The Chamber is proud to honor these outstanding small businesses for their contributions to the country’s economic recovery and continued hard work in their communities,” Donohue continued. “They represent the creativity, the determination, and the resilience of the U.S. business community and are examples of the enormous potential of businesses and employees across the country.”
A complete list of this year’s Blue Ribbon Small Business Award winners is available here.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is the world’s largest business federation representing the interests of more than 3 million businesses of all sizes, sectors, and regions, as well as state and local chambers and industry associations. Its International Affairs division includes more than 50 regional and policy experts and 25 country- and region-specific business councils and initiatives. The U.S. Chamber also works closely with 116 American Chambers of Commerce abroad.