The Menil Collection
You can find Goodwin wood everywhere! The 2013 National AIA (American Institute of Architects) Twenty-five Year Award winner is the Menil Collection in Houston, Texas. Goodwin was proud to provide over 36,000 LF of Vertical Clear Heart Cypress to replace the deteriorating second-growth originally used in the structure. Jim McReynolds of McReynolds Architects of Houston specified Goodwin for the project. Jim referenced The Southern Cypress Association’s 1936 Story of Tidewater Cypress which says, “build with ‘The Wood Eternal’ for a lifetime of pride and satisfaction in a building with low cost upkeep.”
One lucky AIA National Convention and Design Exposition participant will win a trip to tour this fabulous work of architectural genius. Esteemed architect Paul Goldberger, Hon. AIA, dubbed it, “one of the most pleasing buildings built in our time for the viewing of art” in a New York Times article. Goodwin is excited to be part of this acclaimed, award-winning project.
- For more information on the type of Heart Cypress Goodwin provided for the building:
- For more information about the Menil Collection, visit http://www.heartpine.com/blog/2013/03/cypress-the-wood-eternal/ and http://www.menil.org/visit/building.php.
- For more information about the AIA Twenty-five Year award, visit: http://www.aia.org/practicing/awards/2013/twenty-five-year-award/
How may we help you?
Latest Goodwin Posts
- River-Recovered® Heart Cypress Contributes to the Allure of the New Eleanor and Nicholas Chabraja Visitor’s Center at Naples Botanical Garden
- Complimentary Admission to Architectural Exchange East
- How to Dry 150 Year Old Sunken Logs
- Goodwin Company Needs Your Vote
- The Art of Sawing River-Recovered® Logs